Colts Report v Warringah



A very satisfactory day for the Colts with a clean sweep




EASTS 35 defeated WARRINGAH 31


Firsts certainly had to fight hard for their victory…every time they jumped out to a reasonable lead Warringah reeled them in and would not let Easts get away .


Easts were on the board early following half back Cooper Murphy’s snipe for a try  but then went behind following two quick tries to the Rats so the catch up game was on.


There was nothing in a torrid forward struggle as both teams struggled for supremacy with Warringah playing the game in tight using their big pack to gain the vital metres, around the corners.


Easts were trying to get the ball wide and when they executed they were able to make some good inroads and finally midway through the first term left winger Dylan Luisi was freed up for a try to sneak  Easts ahead 14 to 12 but again Warringah hit back with a try to lead by 3 .


Just before the break second rower Will Nicholls found himself in space on the right flank and made it to the try line and five-eight Nick Shannon had his kicking boots on to land his third conversion for Easts to lead 21 to 17 at oranges.


Still nothing in the game until right winger Felix Studdy pounced on a loose ball and sprinted 70 metres to score under the posts for Shannon to convert and the lead was now 11 points, However the Rats were not out of it and they pounded away for a converted try and with 15 minutes to go Easts were just hanging on before full-back Matthew McTaggart found himself in some space and with some neat footwork broke through for another converted try and the lead again was out to 11 again.


There was one final twist in the tail and with 12 minutes remaining Easts had a man in the bin and Warringah took full advantage to score another converted try and with 10 to go it was certainly game on with just 4 points in it.


Easts defence manned up and repelled a constant wave of Green Rats to hang on grimly for a very deserved yet hard fought victory.






The 2nd Colts team arrived at our new home ground in Canterbury ready for a hard fought clash against a fellow top 4 side in Warringah.


The team arrived very confident after a good weeks training.


Early in the game the team let several opportunities slip through their fingers with basic handling or ball control issues, however once they began to value the ball these opportunities were turned into points. The longer we played the better we got! The forward pack did a superlative job laying the foundation of front foot ball and our energetic backs lapped this up and scored points at will.


What was also pleasing was the defence of the team keeping the Warringah team to zero in the 70 minutes…this is a credit to Easts Colts defensive coach, Adam Elford, who could be heard from the sideline calling his familiar chant of “Move Up , line speed” …it certainly was a positive of this week’s game …well done Adam and the 2s players.


All players that were used in 2s this week contributed to the victory and we look forward to more of this




Easts 33  Warringah 10


What was expected to be a tough game for Easts ended as a 5 try to 2 shellacking of Warringah. Such an ensemble performance has not been seen in colts since the days of the Jock Cornett’s marauders.


The game didn’t start well with Will Hicks coming off in the first couple of minutes of the game with an ACL tear. It was a scramble to get a replacement on the field, Pearson came on as his replacement and played strongly throughout making several scything runs.


Captain Negus continued to grow in the role as captain as mid field marshal. he dictated play and executed the match plan to a tee.


Ben Doyle continued his run of good form scoring the team’s first try.  Tom Lamens carved up the Warringah backline and showed that he was a class above them.  At one stage he blew out a boot with his aggressive stepping. Fortunately Hicks was able to give him the one from his injured foot facilitating two tries by Lamens.


Charlie Yole got a leg knock early in the game and appeared to be off the pace in the back end of the first  half, the coaches made the decision to replace him with a fully fit player just before half time. After he subbed his replacement Gill, who came off early with a corked shoulder, Yole was able to demonstrate his displeasure at being subbed with a strong second half, scoring the final try of the game.


Another who showed his frustration at being kept on the bench was “the lineout supremo”, who is rapidly building a reputation for himself as a modern-day Lawrie Fahy, never taking a backward step and always being in the thick of things. At one stage, he was doing battle with three Warringah forwards who knew that this was the only way they could match Ben Horton.


The pack is now starting to show its ability to control the game and to play smart football. Set piece has been solid and provides the platform our backs need, the units are working very well together. Our lineout was dependable and two of our tries came directly from 5 metre lineouts including a pushover by Foxton, reputedly the world’s best looking front rower, since coach Ric Somerton !




EASTS 34 defeated LANE COVE 20


This was a hard fought encounter and Easts once they controlled the ball they were always going record a victory.Great spirit amongst the team and a lot of boys are pushing for higher honours in the weeks ahead, although this week’s game against Colleagues will be our toughest test as they beat us in the first round


The top 3 grades are on the high seas this week against the Western Suburbs Pirates at St. Lukes Field , adjacent to Concord Oval.





Categories: Results
Posted on Thursday, 1 June 2017


Powered by SportsTG